Wednesday, June 15, 2011

The Grand 'Ole Party

Here is the first 30 min. of last nights NH GOP debate:


If you're at all interested in politics and how the 2012 Presidential election could play out, this first GOP debate of many to come was an interesting first look at the field of candidates. Being ideologically liberal, I have very few (if any) opinions that align with the Republican party, but I want to give my reaction to how the candidates dealt with the questions posed. I'll reserve my political opinions for a future post. Information is my fuel, politics a hobby. Here's my reaction to the debate:

I was amused, horrified, confused and annoyed through a majority of the debate. I expected to watch Romney field criticisms from his competitors, Gingrich to spiral into an unimpressive, disappointing mess, and a lot of sucking up to those red blooded, God fearing Americans.

Well, there certainly was sucking up.

However, nobody laid a finger on Romney. Pawlenty even had the opportunity served to him on a silver platter, and he sheepishly refused to explain his "Obamney-care" statements from the weekend prior. Here's what I think happened. Romney is a front-runner. Maybe THE front-runner. He spent his time debating Obama rather than his fellow candidates. He's got that superhero-esque jaw, presidential hairline. He's charismatic.

And apparently perfected the ability to stare his competition into silence.

I'm guessing the other candidates looked at '08, saw that Biden was the only one to not piss off Obama and followed suit for a shot at the ticket. Let's play nice.

Blah, boring.

I was rather appalled at Gingrich drawing a loose comparison of Nazis, Communists and Muslims. I think I get what he was trying to get at, but it really just made him sound like a bigot. Same for you, Mr. Cain and your remark about the "Muslims who are trying to kill us."

Bachmann worked the crowd, garnering annoying applause at every turn. She's like a scarier, more competent version of Sarah Palin. And she successfully announced (twice I believe) her ability to raise more than two dozen children. An extremely important quality I want in my President.

(Does sarcasm translate to text?)

I was basically bored to death every time Pawlenty spoke. I couldn't take Santorum seriously, because there's something about his face that makes me want to punch it.

Ron Paul unleashed his Libertarian, socially liberal views to an unforgiving, stuffy crowd, interested in God, America and God.

Basically, I was entertained until I was outraged.

I've always had a hard time trying on the point of view of a Republican because my views are so different. My Twitter feed from the evening reflects my snarky, bitchy point of view peppered with my political ideals. I'll follow this bunch of GOPers until the election, just so I can know how badly Obama really needs to get re-elected.

Step into the year 2011, Republican candidates. Taxes are good. Gay marriage isn't a government issue. Neither is abortion. Energy security is important. Can't we just all be friends?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me