Thursday, June 9, 2011

Anonymity is Toxic

I've been spending too much time on Twitter, the "dumpster of the internet" I once heard a certain @mr_pancakes put it. And it really does live up to that name, at times.

I use Twitter as an opportunity to share my take on the world through the lens of someone who finds humor in almost anything. I try to be upbeat, light and funny. I'm sure my constant barrage of Tweets gets annoying for some of my followers, but it keeps me entertained. And that's really what it's about, right? Entertainment... right?

I'm going to preface my point by stating that I'm a generally optimistic person. I choose to see the best in people. I tend to always assume everyone's intentions are basically good.

BUT...

Twitter, that impersonal, anonymous beast of social networking, has started to really bother me. People are crazy mean there. They're rude, hateful, ignorant, and looking to pick fights. A part of me is thankful nobody really gives me the time of day on Twitter. I don't really have to worry about "backlash" for anything I post. I tend to keep my opinions about politics and sensitive issues here. And probably for the better.

The anonymity of Twitter is toxic.

The capacity people have to be cruel is amplified when they don't have to be personally responsible for the consequences of their cruelty. Basically, you can be a horrible bastard on Twitter and it really doesn't matter.

Seeing too much of that evil only makes me cynical.

I choose to follow people who are entertaining. I like crude, obnoxious humor. I don't like crude, obnoxious people. There's a difference, people.

Blah, I've been drinking too much Jameson.

Also, I've just discovered Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie is on Netflix Instant. Do yourself a favor and watch that shit now.

#ff @pattonoswalt @Tony_Cala @mr_pancakes @zyoungs108 @DamonLindelof @AlecBaldwin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me