Friday, January 14, 2011

1. All Along The Watchtower (Bob Dylan)

The absolute most played cover song by the band is probably the most well known and well loved cover as well. "All Along The Watchtower" was played at DMB shows dating back to the beginning (possibly the second show ever) and it's rumored that Dave used to play the song solo before the band even came together. Although the band's version of the song sounds little like Bob Dylan's version, or even Jimi Hendrix's epic performance on Electric Ladyland (1968), it is one of the most encored song is the band's 20 year history. The song has also gone through numerous variations throughout the years, including a Stefan solo feature, dropping a verse and various other nuances.

Title: All Along The Watchtower
Original Artist: Bob Dylan
Why I Love It: The opening lick Dave plays on the guitar is perfect. It's dark, it's simple, it's exciting. By the time Dave hits the note after "The hour is getting near," I've damn well peed my pants out of excitement. What's not to love about a Dylan song revamped by the greatest band on Earth? The epic jam at the end makes me drool. Dave is brilliant. Carter is brilliant. Stefan is brilliant. If I had this song on my top 50 Dave originals, it would have easily made the top 15.
Memories: I have heard this song three times this year live and there's almost no possible way for me to choose my favorite. I first heard it at the Gorge as the set closer and Ben Harper joined the band with an absolutely incredible feature at the beginning. I heard it again in Charlottesville in what I thought was the encore closer. Stefan began with an incredible feature at the beginning, playing "Cello Suite No. 1" on the bass. My world was turned on its head when I began to hear the intro to Halloween in the jam at the end of "Watchtower." Eventually my prayers were answered and the band went into a mind-blowing, unscheduled, unintended rendition of "Halloween." Then, less than a month later I heard Dave and Tim play it at McCaw Hall in Seattle. Each version was amazing, and deeply, deeply satisfying.
Favorite Lyric: "No reason to get excited," the thief, he kindly spoke/ "There are many here among us who feel that life is but a joke/ But you and I, we've been through that, and this is not our fate/ So let us not talk falsely now, the hour is getting late"

2 comments:

  1. (By the time Dave hits the note after "The hour is getting near," I've damn well peed my pants out of excitement.)

    Haha...I'm not knocking it...but I've never heard of a "piss test" to rate music before. Very good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not bad at all. I'm a Bob Dylan fan. This has a Led Zeppelin feel about it.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me