Wednesday, June 8, 2011

America's Broken

I was driving home today to look to my left and discover a beloved restaurant in our neighborhood was gone. Rest in peace, La Piazza. I was so sad in the moment. It was a kind of funky little place, with a strange, almost off-putting cast of employees, but the food was amazing. Authentic, rustic Italian.

And now its gone.

This particular story rings especially true for myself. About two years ago, my brother and I received an inheritance. I chose to pay for college, my brother invested his money to open up a business with our step-dad. It was his dream to own and operate a LAN center (a place to play video games), so he started collaborating. A long, drawn out two years later, the guys opened their doors.

It was his dream.

Shortly thereafter, my brother discovered the time and effort that goes into a new business was beyond what he could deal with. He was away from his girlfriend. He was broke and he wasn't making money. So he left. He left our-step dad to deal with the whole thing on his own. At this point, the business was already struggling, and his departure made things worse. Long story short, we're looking for a buyer.

Financially, the business was a bust for all involved. My mom's roped into the mess just as much as the boys. Personally, I find it difficult to remove the emotions I have regarding the business. I should feel lucky though, I have no money tied up in a failing business. I sympathize, but at the same time, feel that familiar, ugly "I-told-you-so" voice in the back of my mind.

Without going too much into the situation (so not worth it anyway), I guess the point I'm trying to make is the economy is tough. This isn't new, you say. True, but for me, the realization about how tough it really is just hit me.

It actually baffles me.

I see so many knowledgable, intelligent, well-grounded people with policy ideas and improvements. But how can radical policy change take place in such a static, unalterable system? No matter the promises politicians make, how can the follow through in a political landscape filled with extreme partisanship?

Cynicism at its finest, front and center.

The first step on the road to change has got to be structural from within. If the system doesn't change, policy won't change. Before structural change is even possible, we must be willing to accept the reality that the way the government has been operating doesn't work. Accept this, and be willing to step into the idea that altering our system may leave us with something fundamentally un-American.

I really appreciated the way Alec Baldwin put it via Twitter:


 Alec Baldwin 


 Alec Baldwin 


 Alec Baldwin 




"Trouble is, when we're done, that country may not look like America anymore"

The real fear for Americans lies in a truth that's been ignored by many. We're slipping behind. If you're reading this and you're an American, you've enjoyed living in a country that is globally influential and relevant, a world power. But the world is changing. And it seems to me our remedy is ignorance.

3 comments:

  1. Well, I just traveled right down that rabbit hole, didn't I?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fact that someone actually read this is the best thing that happened to me today.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me